This is the time of year when so many of us are rushing around, trying to find the perfect holiday gifts for all the friends and family on our shopping lists. But this can also be a great time of year to buy yourself a gift, and what better gift could you ask for than a brand new smile! If that sound impossible, it’s really not. Many dentists offer “smile makeovers” to their patients. These makeovers consist of a combination of several different dental procedures, specifically developed for each patient on a person-by-person basis, that result in a beautiful new smile! When it comes to developing a smile makeover plan for a patient, your dentist will take several things into consideration, including the following:
- Your current oral health — You’ll have to be in good oral health before any type of cosmetic procedure can be performed. So if you need a dental filling or a crown, for example, your dentist will complete those procedures before moving on to any other cosmetic portions of the plan.
- Existing dental work – If you have existing dental work that can detract from the appearance of your new smile (such as silver amalgam fillings that have darkened, for example), your dentist may want to replace those with new restorations that are less noticeable, such as composite fillings or crowns.
- Tooth color – Our teeth become discolored naturally as we age. So if part of your goal with your smile makeover is for a more youthful appearance, you’ll want whiter teeth. Your dentist can accomplish this in several different ways. If you have an adequate amount of enamel on your teeth, professional teeth whitening may work well. Alternatively, both porcelain veneers and bonding can result in a much lighter, more uniform tooth shade.
- Tooth alignment and spacing – If your teeth are crooked, overlap one another, or have wide gaps in between, you may need to wear braces for a certain amount of time to correct the problem. Most dentists and orthodontists offer their patients either traditional braces or clear plastic aligners, both of which work well for most people.
- Missing teeth – If you are missing one or more teeth, it can really ruin your smile. Under these circumstances, your dentist may recommend a dental implant, a partial denture, or a dental bridge to replace your missing teeth.
Several studies conducted over the past few years have shown that having an attractive smile can improve your self-confidence and self-esteem. What better gift than that can you give yourself this holiday season? Contact your dentist today to find out more about smile makeovers.